During the past few days, I’ve found myself – for lack of better words – going through the absolute most. But the one thing that I have to keep reminding myself is that the prioritisation of self is paramount, so even when I feel like the world is crumbling around me, I still need to take care of myself. And don’t get me wrong – this post is not coming with all of the answers (because I’m still gowishing as I type), it’s just coming with suggestions from me and the good people of Twitter for those of you who are going through some things too.
So let’s get into it right away:
- Sleep. It’s so important to get enough rest, and sometimes when things aren’t going right, just go to sleep.
- Series & chill. Staying in bed with some popcorn, tea and your favourite shows are a sure fire way to cheer you up – even if just for a little bit. I love the flavours of (vanilla or rooibos) chai because they aren’t lying when they say tea is a hug for your stomach, and Woolworths’ butter microwave popcorn is the best microwave popcorn on the market – I swear by it.
- Pamper yourself. Menial things like just painting your nails and toes and doing a face mask are a great form of self care because there is truth in the phrase “look good, feel good,” and some of the processes in and of themselves are cathartic. Also, Janine said in an episode of her & Tshego’s podcast, watching make up tutorials is also a great way to just relax.
- Put pen to paper. Scribble, draw, doodle, write poetry, scream your feelings, create – just get it all out so that your mind can be at peace and you can heal.
- Music. There is healing in music, and sometimes it’s just a good distraction. Chance The Rapper’s newest mixtape is an uplifting and mellow vibe to listen to, as well as JMSN, dvsn, Terrace Martin, James Blake, KAYTRANADA, Gallant and Banks.
- Get God on the phone. I know not everyone believes in a higher power, but I know from personal experience that there is peace in the house of the Lord. Sometimes you just need to read a comforting scripture, or make the effort to go to church, and that can revive you, restore you and give you a little bit of extra strength for the week/day ahead. Sometimes just praying and giving it over to God is enough to feel better.
- Cleanse. Drink more water and eat some fruits. Junk foods are my go-to and that’s perfectly fine, it’s just also unsustainable for a long period of time. You need to balance it out – being dehydrated can really affect you so make sure that you take care of not only your mind, but your body.
- Treat yo’self. My mom keeps telling me that things won’t make me happy, but sometimes they actually do, LOL. Even if it’s not new clothes/shoes, new make up is always a joyous occasion.
Now, for some words from the Twitterverse.
- “Moisturise (body oil) your body in the mornings and evenings thoroughly. All. The. Time.” – @its_mcharlie
- “Take an extra long hot shower/both, take all the time to groom your nails, add an extra hour to your nap – basically any kind of overly indulgent time spent on yourself.” – @KenzoLM_
- “Cleansing in water with positive affirmations; buttering or oiling your skin while exploring every inch of your body while saying positive affirmations. Laying still naked to appreciate what a positive mind can do for your temple. After this – whip up a colourful fruit salad and eat to your heart’s content.” – @iindirhe via @GeekJulieta.
- “Get new bedsheets and clean your surroundings. Then clean your body – soak in oils and salts and wash thoroughly. Clean your toe and fingernails, massage your feet and oil your hair. Wear warm and comfortable clothes, listen to your favourite happy songs, watch what you like watching and soak in the sweetest solitude. Sort/arrange your books and your closet. Write down your priorities, what you’re grateful for and what you’ve recently learnt about yourself. Keep a 2L bottle of water with you daily and have it finished by the end of the day. Burn incense. Be nice to yourself. Breathe easy. Rest.” – @Geek Julieta
- “Dress up for no reason, carb out, watch your fave shows from your childhood, listen to throwback songs from primary school, call a friend and talk about their life, read a trashy novel, carbs carbs carbs, and go for a walk and take photos of trees.” – @glitterdaiquiri
- “Make yourself a kickass breakfast, do your nails and watch something that always makes you laugh.” @khanyisilecawe
I hope these tips were helpful and I wish you all a blessed week! Remember to take care of yourselves – especially with exams coming up. Sometimes you need a mental health/self care day to put these into practice, so take it. Do you, boo ❤️
Ah what a great post and it couldn’t have come at a better time. I often forget about myself while I try to keep everything together. I needed to read this. Thank you!
It’s a flaw that gets to us all – especially us women! I’m glad it helped you! 🙂