This right here is a little post about some DIY-ing I did over the long weekend. Everyone is into the custom high-waisted jeans trend, so I tried to customize a pair of my own instead of paying $40 for a pair from an online boutique.
What You Need:
- A pair of high waisted shorts (or jeans, but then you’d have to cut them)
- A piece of material (I got some from my mom but you can get off-cuts from a fabric store)
- A pair of scissors
- A marker
- A sewing machine/needle and thread (I’ve made a pair using a machine and another hand sewing – it all depends on what you’re able to do/more comfortable doing)
- Pins (to keep the fabric in place)
What To Do:
- Open up your shorts – make sure they’re flat and smooth because you’ll need to trace the shape of the front half onto your material. You need to try and be as accurate as you can.
- Once you’ve traced it onto your fabric, cut it out oh so very carefully.
- Use the pins to secure the fabric onto your jeans – once you start sewing, the last thing you want is for your jeans to shirt. Trust me.
- I did these jeans by hand sewing – I stitched it along the seams of the jeans to make sure the thread can’t be easily seen.
- If you’re using a sewing machine, always be aware that there is the back side of the jeans and the pocket. I made the mistake of accidentally sewing my pockets together. Always keep that in mind when you’re sewing, so I suggest that you sew slowly.
- When you’re finished, ensure the last stitch with a back stitch with your sewing machine or a double knot by hand.
- Voila! You’re hiptastic.
If you have any further questions, feel free to comment/tweet me 🙂
xo, Foyin Og